Thursday, March 18, 2010

The recession can kiss my blarney stone

As a physical therapist in a world of people always having to recover from injuries or illness, I've always felt secure in my career choice with little chance of having trouble finding/keeping work.  However, the recession we've been in for a while is just hitting my workplace over the last few months...and hitting hard.  When I used to dread my over-busy workdays, I'm begging for patients now.

It doesn't help that I now only work 32 hrs/wk after maternity leave, but now my boss is asking each therapist to not work a day next week (and possibly weeks to come) to save the company money. We just haven't been as busy, my schedule isn't fully booked with patients back-to-back like they used to be, and something's gotta give.  AND they want us to give up one day in the outpatient clinic to help out in the hospital. Did I ever mention I HATE acute care with a passion?  However, these options are much better than the alternative...getting laid off. That I do not want.

This whole topic was spurred by the insanely small paycheck I got today for the last 2 weeks. Let's just say between adding K to my health insurance, deductions for the new childcare spending account, and general taxes, I have 40% of my usual pay. OUCH. They say kids are expensive, but wowza. I'm hurting.  Looks like that new/gently used car I had on the horizon will have to wait.

When can a girl catch a break?

4 comments:

Lyse2143 said...

Yikes. I'm sorry love. I really hope this is just temporary and things get back to normal at your work place soon!

Leannabanna said...

I feel your pain as I am in the same job as you. I work in home health care and where last year at this time I was overflowing with patients, this year I am praying for more referrals. Like you also, I cut my hours back to 30 and have B on my insurance. It totally sucks! It has gotten easier over the months to deal.... but I miss my old paychecks too!

Sal said...

Ugh, it's hitting everyone I guess. I hope it gets better soon, girl!

Tiffany said...

oh hun, I am so sorry the job isn't going well. Hopefully things will pick up soon and you will be back to your regular work schedule...begging for a break!

 

Mission: Happily Ever After Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez