Then it happened.
Katelyn was born, my maternity leave sailed by, and at the end of February I started dreading work. I was having fun getting to know my little girl, some days staying in PJs all day long, baking, keeping house, doing laundry...and on the weekends, I got to hang out with the hubby and girl and relax because all the housework was done! Who would want to trade that for getting up early, being forced to look presentable, then having to head to work and function a few notches higher on the brain scale?
March 1st rolled around. A Monday, and I cried and cried as I drove to work. The waterworks lasted well into half of my morning at work. In between patients, I would go back to my desk and stare at the picture of my darling little girl, longing to be at home, nursing her and rocking her to sleep. Instead, I was forced to a cold treatment room with the pump attached to my chest, browsing facebook on my iphone as the repetitive churning of the pump filled the air with noise. Not my idea of fun 3 times during the workday. I couldn't wait to get back home to her.
Now here we are at the end of March. I've adjusted well, even with Katelyn waking up at 2 am, 4 am. My brain is somehow used to getting only 4-6 hours of sleep, as compared to the 8-9 hours it needed to function before. I've become more efficient, by preparing my lunches at night, doing laundry 2-3 times a week instead of once a week on the weekends. (What the hell did I do with all of my time before?)
Work is now becoming a break from the difficulties of being a mom. For 9 hours a day, I don't have a baby attached to me, I don't have spit up in my hair, and I actually smell good. People come to me for help, and I help them. My coworkers miss me when I'm gone. I have an AWESOME nanny. She's so great that she texts me pictures and updates during the day to ease my first-time-mommy worries. I pick K up at the end of the day, and she grins ear to ear like she hasn't seen me in days. Ahh, I love that sweet smile.
What the heck do I have to complain about?
Nothing.




5 comments:
You really said it perfectly! I really struggled going back to work with our first and I thought it would be easier with #2, but it was just as hard. But now that I am back, it is not so bad!
And I learned to be 3x as efficient because 2 kids equals 3 or 4 times the work, not just double.
Glad to hear that it is going well for you!
There is always a sturggle with any job, and being a full time Mommy too! I am so glad that you have found a good balance. Keep up with all the positive thoughts and the good routine :)
how did you get this background, i downloaded it weeks ago and have no clue how to do it!
And Amen to that! I work long hours and it was hard at first, but I agree it's a nice break and I appreciate every moment I have with my son. I ALWAYS look forward to the weekends :)
Noelle--you have to unzip the file, then open it and copy and paste into your html box under "layout". I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and just got around to adding it to the blog.
Post a Comment